By: Stan Popovich
It can be scary going to rehab for the first time to overcome your addictions and other mental health issues.
As a result, here are six suggestions on what you should and should not do when going to rehab.
1. Follow the rules: The most important thing a person should do is to follow the rules when entering rehab. Focus your energies on getting better and don’t do anything that could get you kicked out of the place.
2. Listen to the counselors: A person who goes to rehab must follow the advice from their counselors. The counselors that you are dealing with are professionals and following their advice will help speed up your recovery.
3. Ask questions: Going to rehab can be a new experience for some people. Always ask questions on anything that you are not familiar with to help make your stay more pleasant. The people in rehab are there to answer your questions and to help you out.
4. Be friendly with others: Do not take out your frustrations out on the staff or on your fellow residents. Blaming others for your problems is not the way to go and can interfere with your recovery. Be nice to others and in turn most people will treat you with respect.
5. Write down everything: Talking to the counselors can provide valuable advice on how to deal with your fears and anxieties and you don’t want to forget what you were told. If possible, find a way to write down the advice given to you so you can apply it to your current situation.
6. Go to the programs and meetings: Many of the rehab facilities offer daily programs to help educate you in finding the right way of overcoming your fears and addictions. If you decide to sleep in or decide to just skip the programs all together you could miss valuable information and delay the recovery process.
Consider The Following:
Stan’s book contains a lot more valuable information than the 14 articles and blog posts on this website. Stan’s book will make a difference in your recovery. If you know of anyone who is struggling, have them review this website and the book reviews and consider getting Stan’s affordable book by clicking on Get Stan’s Book