By: Stan Popovich
Do you find yourself going to various social events and your friends try to get you to drink, but you don’t want to?
If so, here are 6 tips on how to tell your friends you don’t want to drink alcohol when you are at a party.
1. Know where you stand: Before you go to any party or social event, you need to make a choice on how much you are willing to drink or whether you will drink anything at all. Once you decide what you are going to do, stand behind your decision.
2. Figure out what you will tell your friends: Before going to a party, get advice from someone you trust on what you should say when someone wants you to drink. It’s best to be prepared ahead of time which will help manage any anxieties you may have.
3. Be firm in your decision and show confidence: It’s important to be firm in telling others that you do not want to drink. Some people will continue to argue with you, so do not give in to their arguments. Do what is right and stand behind your decision. Don’t let others determine what is best for you.
4. Hang out with your true friends: There will be some people who will give you a hard time for not drinking. If this is the case, then find other people to hang out with who will be more understanding. Remember that your real friends will respect your decision to not drink.
5. Always have something in your hands: A good way to get people off your back is to carry a cup of alcohol or a can of beer in your hand as you walk around at the party. The key is not to drink the alcohol. This is a little trick you can use when nothing else seems to work and you are unable to leave the party.
6. Be selective on where you go: Do your homework and find out ahead of time whether there will be a lot of drinking at the party or event you wish to attend. A person can find out from their friends on what they can expect before going to a party. This will help you pick and choose what places you may want to avoid.
Consider The Following:
Stan’s book contains a lot more valuable information than the 14 articles and blog posts on this website. Stan’s book will make a difference in your recovery. If you know of anyone who is struggling, have them review this website and the book reviews and consider getting Stan’s affordable book by clicking on Get Stan’s Book